Medical Coding And Billing Specialist
Do you have the characteristics of a medical coding and billing specialist?
A medical coding and billing career can prove to be as challenging as it is rewarding. At Elmira Business Institute, we want to prepare you for a new career with the skills and industry knowledge needed to be successful in your field. However, there are other qualities you’ll need to cultivate if you’re going to be fully prepared to take on this rapidly growing career.
If you are considering a medical coding and billing career, make sure you have these important qualities:
- Detail oriented: When dealing with health records, it’s important to have a keen focus on small details when recording and coding patient information. Medical records professionals are responsible for making sure health information data is managed in an accurate and efficient way. With so much information changing hands throughout each day, it’s important to stay focused on every detail.
- Discretion: As a medical biller and coder, you have access to sensitive medical information. Every patient has a right to privacy, and sharing a patient’s private information can lead to legal problems. Discretion is a must in a medical billing and coding career.
- Assertive: As a medical biller and coder, each case can have opportunities to interact with a variety of people in the medical field, including physicians, finance personnel as well as other medical billers and coders. If a hostile patient collection case arises, it’s important to remain assertive in resolving the issue. Diffusing a patient’s emotions while problem solving comes with the territory.
- Analytical: Another key trait is the ability to comprehend and explain a medical diagnosis and convert the information into the proper medical record codes. A basic grasp of medical terminology and human anatomy, is essential as well.
- Technical: Technology is here to stay and will continue to play a larger role in medical billing and coding. Hospitals and physicians’ offices are now transferring their hard copy records to electronic health records. The ability to quickly adopt new technical skills and learn new software programs easily can greatly improve your chances for a long and successful career.
Earn your Medical Billing and Coding certificate in as little as 12 months
Now is a great time to start a career in the healthcare field. You can complete your certificate program in as little as 12 months. To learn more about our Medical Coding and Billing certificate program in Elmira and Vestal, NY, call 800-NEW START.