Office Technologies Job Interview
How to handle yourself in an Office Technologies job interview
Searching for the first job of your career is a monumental task. As an office technology specialist, your skillset is going to play a huge factor in landing you a job interview. But the biggest key to sealing the deal and securing the job lies with your ability to sell yourself.
Your tech skills have gotten you this far, but now you have to be able to sit in a room and explain why your skills make you an ideal candidate. At Elmira Business Institute, we want you to go into your job interview with the confidence you need to leave a lasting (and positive) memory. Here a few job interview tips for your office technologies job interview:
- Be punctual: In fact…Arrive EARLY! This is your first chance to make a first impression. It is always a good idea to arrive at your interview at least 15 minutes early. Not only does it show initiative, but there may be paperwork to fill out prior to your interview.
- Leave your tech behind: You might be a master of technology, but let your resume do the talking, not your cell phone. If you can’t leave your smart tech in the car, at least make sure it’s off or on silent so it doesn’t interrupt your interview.
- Be polite (to everyone): You’re new here. You don’t know who is who. Offer polite greetings and handshakes when possible. Make eye contact with those you are interviewing with, don’t use slang and be as formal as possible.
- Dress for success: Even if you know you are interviewing in a “light and casual” environment, it’s always a good idea to dress your best in order to make a good impression — a nice suit, or at least a pressed shirt and tie for the guys, and an office-appropriate dress or blouse and slacks for the ladies.
- Ask questions and engage: This is an opportunity to interview your possible future employer. Ask questions about what your duties, the team you’ll be working with and the expectations for your job. Let them know you’re as interested in them as they are in you.
- Know the job: Find out as much as you can about the company so you can explain to them how your tech skills can help the company grow. They aren’t just looking to fill a chair. They want someone that can be a productive member of the company.
Contact us today to discover your new Office Technologies career!
Now is a great time to start a career in office technologies. You can complete your degree in as little as 16 months. To learn more about our Office Technologies degree program in Elmira and Vestal, NY, call 800-NEW START.